Friday, March 19, 2010

meat cleavers and visible unity

Hey this is a bonus reflection that I had yesterday. It's not on the email list. It's just for you blog-followers:

Sometimes, I wish I carried around a meat cleaver, ok? Let me tell you why. I'm a big believer in visible unity for God's Church. Yeah, I hear y'all when it comes to loving one another and all that jazz. Everybody needs to love everybody. Right. I totally agree, and everybody should belong to the one Visible Body of Christ.

Here's what I mean. If you told me that you were just fine in your Church and that visible unity was a pipe dream, here's what I'd like to do. Remember that meat cleaver, right? So what I'd like to do is take your hands-- you've all seen that scene in Blood Diamand, haven't you?-- Ok, so give me your hands and here's the deal. I say visible unity is necessary. You say it's not. Let's do an experiment. I'm gonna take this cleaver and I'm gonna sever the visible unity between your hands and the rest of your body, and-- Are you crazy!?-- What? I just want to see what would happen.-- You can't chop my hands off.-- But I thought that-- No. No way, man. You are not chopping my hands off you lunatic. -- Well wait a minute, you just said-- I don't care what I said, you can't chop my hands off.-- So what are you saying, visible unity is necessary?-- Yes! Hello!-- Well then, friend, why don't you think about becoming Catholic?-- Hey that's not fair.-- Yeah, you're right. It's honest though.-- Well, I'll think about it.-- Hey can I see those hands of yours again?...

God bless,
Live from your heart,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment