Monday, March 22, 2010

Who turned out the lights?

"I am the light of the world"...

Ok, this guys must be pretty full of himself... in a really humble way, right? I mean come on, "I am the light of the world". When was the last time you heard a Christian say that? When was the last time you said that, huh? Really, while we're on the subject, I wonder when was the last time you gave yourself some recognition for doing anything great. --What, well I don't do that.-- Really? Interesting. Why not? -- Because it's not right. You're not supposed to. It's-- Are you sure about that? Who says? Where is it written? Did the guy who called himself "the light of the world" and claims to be THE EXAMPLE of all upright human behavior say that? Hmm... Maybe the world has sold us a bag of... never mind. You know what I mean, right?

And here's the thing, do you do a better job when somebody recognizes you for it (even if that person is God), yes or no? Of course the answer is yes (Yeah, right, sounds prideful doesn't it, but it's true. Let's see life how it is, ok?). Next question, have you ever done something great and not had anyone notice (maybe it seemed like not even God), yes or no? I'm willing to hallucinate that the answer is "YES..." (said with a little bite there, huh? Well, somebody's a little bitter I guess, aren't they? That's all right. We'll sweeten you up in a second here, ok?) Next question, how much did that make you want to do a great job the next time? --It didn't! -- I know. That's my point. Now stick with me. What would have happened if you'd acknowledged yourself for doing a great job?-- Nothing!...-- Uh huh. Are you sure about that?-- Well, maybe I would have given it another shot.-- Uh huh.-- Actually maybe I would have gone at it even harder... -- Yeah, now you're getting it. Wow, you are brilliant...-- Hey, you know what, I don't have to wait for people to recognize how great I am, do I?-- Nope (smiling) you sure don't. And you don't have to wait for any of those great mystical experiences either (like those come every day, right?). -- So you're saying I can do this any time I want? -- hey, I didn't say that, you did, ok? -- Yeah, (going into a light trance with a little smile on your face) yeah, that's right.-- Hey just one more thing that I've been dying to share with you, all right? -- yeah, what's that?--

It's about doing a great job. What I gotta say is this: If you do a good job you get good results, right?-- Right.-- Aaant. Wrong. If you do a good job, you get poor results. If you're a good husband, you're wife is bored. If you're a good dad, you're just like all the rest. You're nothing special.-- Well then, I'll do a poor job, so I don't have to worry so much.-- Ok, you do a poor job and what happens?-- Well, I get poor results.-- Aant. Wrong again. You do a poor job and you get PAIN. Pain because they leave you, they fire you, your kids end up on drugs or in jail. You don't want to do a poor job, got it?-- Well then fine, I'll do a great job, ok? (a little bite again)-- Hey, you do a great job and what kind of results do you think you'll get, great?-- Yeah of course. -- Aaant. Sorry man, doesn't work that way. You do a great job, and you get only good results. You get all A's, you get to go to more school (yay!). You're a great husband, and you have an ok marriage. You're a great father and you have decent kids. Is that what you want?-- Well what else is there?-- I'm glad you asked. There is outstanding, exceptional, unreal. That's the standard of anyone who calls themselves "THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD" (aka a Christian). Look, if a poor job is at the level of your feet and a great job is at the top of your head (of course a good job is at the level of your waist, you knew that already didn't you?), then an outstanding job is 1 inch (or 2.54 cm) above your head. That's where you gotta get to because those are the people who get all the rewards, right? Those are the Mother Teresa, the Martin Luther King's, the Gandhi's, the Nelson Mandela's. Jesus. Most people get to great and stop because they get frustrated. Don't be like most people. The reality is being great stinks. The world does not reward being great, it doesn't care. Don't be great. Be outstanding. Be light. Show this world something it's never seen before. Maybe it's a smile. Maybe it's a tone of voice or words of wisdom. Maybe it's a hug or a gentle touch. Whatever it is let your light shine... and give yourself a pat on the back when you do!

God bless,
Live from your heart,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment